How Do You Use Retinol Correctly? The do's and don'ts!
Retinol has been considered the gold standard for anti-aging skin care for many years. Most dermatologists, cosmetologists and beauty experts will agree. Why? Retinol has the benefit of reducing wrinkles and boosting collagen production, all while helping to speed up cell turnover, reduce discoloration and acne, and smooth out fine lines.
Retinol can add an array of impressive benefits to your skincare routine. Whether you're new to retinol or have used it in the past, learning how to properly apply retinol can be easier than you might think!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING RETINOL?
Retinol is best known for its ability to target all aspects of visible aging and acne simultaneously. A variety of different retinoids can be used, including adapalene, retinyl palmitate, retinoic acid, and more. It is a common fat-soluble vitamin A derivative that is also found naturally in sweet potatoes, eggs, carrots and other foods.
For skin care, retinol can be found in a variety of over-the-counter care products. We also have a category with retinol products . You will find a range of retinol-based anti-aging serums and creams.
The Most Notable Benefits of Using Retinol!
- It reduces hyperpigmentation
- It reduces age spots and sun spots
- Reduction of wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimize acne breakouts
- Dramatically improve the appearance of collagen deficient skin
- Retinol provides a strong overall improvement in the balance of your skin and complexion
WHEN SHOULD I USE RETINOL?
As an anti-aging product, retinol can be added to your skincare routine at any age.
However, it seems to offer the most preventive benefits to individuals over the age of twenty. From this age, collagen production and skin repair ability decrease by 1% per year.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I APPLY RETINOL?
Retinol can be used daily. However, many experts recommend using it every two to three days to get started . When you first start using retinol, it's important to build it up slowly , as retinol can be somewhat intense and potentially very drying to your skin. This is especially true for skin that is dry, sensitive, or acne-prone.
Once the skin gets used to retinol, you can try using it more often. Always apply a rich, highly moisturizing cream after using retinol. Depending on your level of dryness, you might even consider applying a moisturizing serum before the retinol to make it easier. If the skin becomes dry or irritated, take a day or two break.
WHEN CAN I EXPECT RESULTS WITH RETINOL?
Patience is the key. Although Retinol is highly touted as a powerful ingredient, it can take up to 12 weeks of consistent use to see positive results. Your skin needs several weeks to adapt to the ingredient and respond to it on a cellular level.
You may start to see some results within two months, but the best and most positive results will be seen around the third month. Take the time to find a retinol product that works for you, such as the IMAGE Skincare AGELESS Total Retinol A cream or the Juliette Armand Retinoid C serum, and stick with it over the long term to get the best results.
HOW TO USE RETINOL PROPERLY?
Retinol can be very effective when it comes to reducing pimples, minor blemishes and fine lines on your skin. However, proper application can directly affect the results of a retinoid routine. Retinol is an intense ingredient and can potentially be very drying to your skin.
We recommend starting slowly with a lower concentration of retinol, such as the IMAGE Skincare IMAGE MD-Restoring Overnight Retinol Masque that restores overnight. This gives your skin time to slowly get used to the highly concentrated benefits of the ingredient without experiencing too much dryness, redness or irritation.
- Step 1: Make sure your face is thoroughly washed. Apply an eye cream to the delicate skin around your eyes.
- Step 2: Make sure your skin is dry. Moist skin can prevent the retinol from being absorbed properly into your skin.
- Step 3: Apply a very small pea-sized amount of retinol to your finger and start applying it to your chin and up to your cheeks.
- Step 4: Place another pea-sized amount on your finger and apply to your forehead by working it slowly into the skin.
- Step 5: Allow the retinol to absorb into your skin for 20-30 minutes before applying your favorite moisturizer and broad-spectrum sunscreen.
IS RETINOL SAFE?
When used correctly and applied slowly, retinol products are a safe and highly potent addition to your skincare routine that will give your anti-aging and blemish-clearing goals a real realistic boost!
DO'S AND DON'TS WHEN USING RETINOL
- Follow up your retinol with hyaluronic acid to counteract its drying effects.
- Wait 20-30 minutes after applying retinol before using other products.
- Start slowly with retinol products if you are new.
- Do not use retinol at the same time as other potent actives, such as vitamin C or benzoyl peroxide.
- Do not apply retinol in large quantities , a pea-sized amount is sufficient.
- Remember to apply a broad spectrum sunscreen during the day.
- Be patient when it comes to seeing retinol results.
And behold! All the information you need to apply retinol correctly. Are you ready for it? So is your skin!