..and how we can incorporate these into your beauty routine!
Whether you're in a relationship with retinol or want to try it for the first time, below are the most important facts you need to know. Hailed as the 'miracle ingredient' by many skincare experts, retinol is the go-to spot for a variety of skin concerns. From fine lines to pigmentation, this groundbreaking ingredient will have you glowing in no time!
What is Retinol?
Retinol is derived from vitamin A and offers similar effects to its big sister retinoic acid, without the expensive trip to the dermatologist. It prevents the breakdown of collagen and stimulates a faster cell renewal. This beneficial combination results in visibly radiant and youthful looking skin. Consequently, this dual action effect makes it ideal for tackling most skin concerns - from pigmentation to fine lines. It gradually evens out your skin, while refining the pores and reducing any pigmentation spots. It visibly removes fine lines and wrinkles, while brightening and firming your skin - need we say more?
Absolutely! Retinol penetrates deep into the skin and stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, an ideal partner to start a rejuvenation treatment and to make your deep wrinkles disappear, Okay, but stay tuned ...
While retinol is suitable and safe for all skin types, depending on the concentration, it can cause irritation or dryness. It is therefore important to use the ideal concentration for your skin and also give your skin the chance to gradually get used to this very active ingredient.
So do not just start smearing and keep in mind that your skin can react sensitively at the start. This can turn a bit red and even flake a little. Then just skip one or two days and use products that support the approach to the skin problem in addition to your retinol serum.
Retinol in combination with vitamin C is particularly effective in combating skin aging. Deep wrinkles are visibly reduced. Yet there are very few brands that combine retinol in a serum with other antioxidants such as vitamin C. The concentrations of the different active ingredients must be very precisely coordinated. We have such toppers in house with Juliette Armand! The Juliette Armand Retinoid C serum and the Retinoid C cream are 2 absolute musts!
How to use Retinol and what should you pay attention to?
The best time to apply retinol is in the evening, after cleansing, on dry skin, as the strong effect of a serum with retinol or retinoid can make your skin more sensitive to external factors such as sunlight. If you wish to use the retinol during the day, always do this with a good additional day cream in combination with a sunscreen.
- Apply your Retinol product all over the face.
- For additional anti-aging benefits, start at your jawline and chin and make upward strokes towards your forehead.
- Make sure to avoid the delicate eye area.
- Finally, let the retinol product soak into the skin before applying your usual serum and favorite night cream.
- Retinol can make your skin more sensitive to UV rays, so make sure to apply a broad spectrum SPF daily. This can also be done by daily use of a protective day cream with SPF
- As with any retinol product, you'll want to introduce it into your routine gradually. Try it every third night for starters and gradually increase to every night as your skin builds up tolerance. It can usually take up to 4 weeks to achieve nighttime use.